Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Autumn Harvest

I was in a pretty foul mood all day yesterday, largely because a broken third of a contact lens had got stuck in my right eye and was refusing to come out. It finally slipped into the outer corner of my cornea in the late evening and I was able to achieve an extraction. Ouch.

I might have been a bit hard on Bruce Brown's surfing sequel, but the lens accident occurred on Sunday morning as a direct result of rubbing my eyes during one of its rather repetitive wave riding sequences.

Yesterday morning I found the Mac surrounded by grape pips: V had been up late, working. The banana pile had gone down a bit too. These bananas were rather strange. Costa Rican and purchased at the Loon Fung they looked showroom perfect in their green plastic tub, but the moment we got them home they started to come out in big black bruises as if they had been secretly abused all day at the shop!

The other day I bought some dodgy Spanish peaches at Tesco. They looked alright in their skins, but once peeled had the appearance of mangy old foam tennis balls, an effect that can usually be ascribed to pre-sale freezing, which V reckons was a bit of a dirty trick from Tesco. The impact on flavour was also pronounced − they had become intensely, plumily, unpleasantly sugary.

Meanwhile the short fig season has come and gone. I find figs rather bland, but as we have had a warmish start to Autumn it has been possible to throw them on the barbecue outside which perks up their flavour no end.

No comments: