Thursday, February 26, 2009

Frost/Nixon

I had with me in Mexico a collection of movies that V had expressed a strong preference not to watch with me at home, and this was one of them.

In truth even I had been thinking this might be a good way to get to sleep on my bus to Oaxaca, but I ended up completely engrossed.

I don't agree with Kermode that Michael Sheen was equally deserving of an Oscar nomination, and I do agree with the listeners who pointed out his resemblance here to Alan B'stard.

Rebecca Hall has the rather thankless task of adding the barest hint of romance to this duel between two men fighting for a single spot back where the action is. For Nixon this could mean moving back east; for Frost, back west.

If Slumdog Millionaire had gone straight to DVD after all, this film could easily (and deservedly) have taken the Best Picture Oscar.

Even so, A.R. Rahman's winning end-credit tune was surely the clincher last Sunday. Jai Ho, which apparently means 'May Victory be Yours', was actually originally composed for another Bollywood movie called Yuvvraj and has now been re-recorded by the Pussycat Dolls for the benefit of those American consumers who can't abide no foreign shit.

Grade: A-

No comments: