Thursday, October 18, 2007

Usability studies

Does anyone know why the toilet seats in the US don't complete the circle, so to speak?

This just one of several changes of interface I noticed on this trip. Like the way none of the restrooms seem to have cold water.

This was the case even in our LA offices, which made brushing my teeth a tad unpleasant, though it was great for shaving. Ok, I was the only vagrant in there that day, but I can't be alone in occasionally liking to brush my teeth at work.

Still, I do like the way that crossing pedestrians in LA get a count down before the lights change and red hand appears.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

ha, interesting observation.

I'd imagine it's some cost-cutting measure--you'd save 20% of the material costs, or something.

At least you can flush toilet paper, unlike in many places in Guate...

Inner Diablog said...

Some of them have the roaring sound of airplane toilets - as if you are opening some sort of airlock to outer space very time you flush. Makes you feel like grabbing onto the nearest available handhold....

Rob said...

I think that it is so that drips from men peeing-with-the-seat-down are more likely to end up on the rim than the seat.