Thursday, August 26, 2010

Shutter Island (2010)

I watched this one on a plane, perhaps not ideal given its murky aesthetic and honking soundtrack. That I was entertained (and thrilled) only to a point can also be put down to the fact that Scorcese has concocted a stylish pastiche of the classic Hitchcock thriller, and like all reappropriations, this one has a certain predictability about it.

And I'm trying to remember the last time I felt that Di Caprio had been appropriately cast as the lead he's playing. I wasn't bothered so much by his Cobb in Inception, but on paper at least, he's seemed like an aberrant choice in Body of Lies, Blood Diamond and Revolutionary Road. And yet in all but the latter movie, he basically carries it off anyway, through a combination of talent and ascendant star quality.

Grade: B(+)

No comments: