Thursday, March 31, 2005

Et Tu Brute?

There's a scene in Sonatine in which a young, aspiring gangster whips out a knife and stabs a fellow candidate in the stomach during an interview session which gets a bit out of hand. Later when both have duly been hired and are sitting next to each other on the team bus, the perpetrator offers his colleague some ice cream. "No thanks, my stomach still hurts from where you stabbed me", the other replies dryly.

That scene resonated with me. Coincidentally I was debating with Surfer on Monday which are more painful, social or professional backstabs. Whatever the context, for me the most painful are most often the ones where the assailant, instead of just walking off and leaving you bleeding at the scene, comes back, picks you up, and asks if you fancy going out for a bite.

No comments: