Wednesday, April 24, 2024

Dune Part Two

Back in 2021 I described the first of the new Dune films as "absolutely awesome". 


This time I struggled to get anywhere near that same level of teenage impressionability. In fact my patience was properly tried in places.

Of course it looks great, but the plotting is cumbersome and all the faux Middle-Eastern religious hokum also started to wear me down.

Many of the things that were very good about Dune have not carried forward here, like the performances of Rebecca Ferguson, Charlotte Rampling and Timothée Chalamet, perhaps because their character motivations now seem more opaque, with the effect that they are considerably less engaging.

Zendaya is the best thing about the sequel, albeit encumbered by a Luis Miguel-style suntan.

Bardem is basically channeling one of John Cleese's most memorable roles from The Life of Brian, but without the laughs.

Denis Villeneuve famously didn't know if he would be permitted to make this film when he concluded the first one, but now he has dotted the action with familiar faces which serve as placeholders for the conclusion of this trilogy. And there are others in under-developed roles in this film who have been largely left to play versions of themselves owing to a lack of better cues from the screenplay. 

In 2021 I promised myself I'd read the novel, and am now rather pleased that I failed to keep that one. 


3 comments:

norm said...

Read the book Guy. You will not regret it, it won awards for its merits.

Inner Diablog said...

Ok, I will try to find a paperback copy because when it comes to fat books I hate reading them in digital format as I like to have a sense of where I am!

Inner Diablog said...

Read a few pages tonight in an ebook version. Kind of hooked already.