Tuesday, October 15, 2024

The Substance (2024)

 


There are almost too many things to say about Coralie Fargeat's movie, that one hardly knows where to start.

And I am conscious that there are perhaps a few things one ought NOT to say, especially as I believe I am personally acquainted with a few people who might be inclined to take this deal, or at least some version of it.

Beyond all the more gender-specific themes, this worked for me most as an examination of selfhood, provoking questions like: 'What would it be like to interact on some level with the person we were a generation (or perhaps two) ago?' And, 'How weirdly unfamiliar would this individual be now, leading to potential hostility?'

And this part of the film's payload was where I detected some weaknesses, where I wanted a bit more than mere metaphor, which was working for me extremely well in all other areas. At Cannes The Substance was recognised for the director's own screenplay, yet this was for us the least excellent part of it.

V also griped a little about how extreme the finale became. I didn't mind that so much, but it did whiff a bit of one of those OTT endings that emerges because the writer has not quite encountered a more elegant manner to wrap things up.

No comments: