Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Notes from abroad: an aside


Back in Playa on Saturday night I found myself attending a rock concert thrown by some visiting evangemusicals. Now readers of this blog will know that I'm not a huge fan of los vergeadores de biblias, but this lot weren't bad, so I hung around for several numbers...though without, I hasten to add, raising my arm up in exaltation.

For those of us who are not inclined to oraaar y oraaar, there are still times when we pause to consider absent friends, and today I spared a thought or two about J. We were briefly 'in a relationship' when I was 17 an then friends again up at Cambridge. After that I saw her just once more (at Foyles) after she had gone to live in Botswana. Years later I heard that she'd died from breast cancer.

In honour of J and others who have lived life to the full...but surely not a full life, here's what for me is an evocative tune from back in the time when such things were considered unthinkable:





No comments: